Gmail is a free web-based email service provided by Google Inc. It also has its premium service. For instance, Google Drive is the cloud computing it provides users. However, users will only get 15 GB free cloud storage space. For more, they will be charged monthly. You can also configure Gmail to your email clients. With the Gmail SMTP settings, you can receive your mail on your favourite email application. You can also send email from the desktop email client. This way, you can avoid using the web browser. This will also enable you to save your emails offline.
How to Setup Gmail SMTP Settings on Email Clients?
- First launch any email client like Outlook, etc.
- Next, go on to Add Account.
- For Microsoft email clients, go to the File tab.
- This is on the top of your screen.
- Then, under Account Information, the Add Account button is right there.
- Next, select Manually configure server settings or additional server types. So click Next to proceed.
- Select POP or IMAP after that. Or there might be the Internet email option in some cases and then click Next.
- So the Internet Email Settings will load. Now provide all the asked information in their respective fields.
- Type in your Name (preferably your Full Name).
- After that, type in your email address (email@example.com).
- The above two is for the User Information area. So proceed to type in for your Server Information.
- Select IMAP first.
- Next, type in imap.gmail.com for the Incoming mail server.
- Then, type in smtp.gmail.com for the Outgoing mail server.
- Finally, type in the password for your Gmail address. You can tick next to Remember password.
- This will conclude the first part of your Gmail SMTP settings setup.
- In the same window, click on More Settings… button. This is on the bottom right corner of the window.
- Click on the Outgoing Server tab. Then, tick next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Select Use same Settings as my incoming mail server.
- Then, go to the Advanced tab. Put in 995 or 993 for Incoming server (IMAP). Choose SSL for the Incoming server encrypted connection. Put in 587 or 465 for Outgoing server (SMTP). Choose SSL for Outgoing server encrypted connection.
- Click on OK.
- To proceed on the next step, click on Next on the bottom.
- The Test Account Settings pop-up will appear.
- Outlook will then attempt to login to your account.
- If the test succeeds then you will receive the test email in the email client inbox.
- This is an indication of the success of your Gmail SMTP settings setup on your email client.
You can always use the web browser to sign into your Gmail account. For aid, click on the Gmail Sign in link provided. If offline, the main advantage is you can look at old emails. This is the main advantage of setting up Gmail SMTP settings on your email clients.